Tangy Lime Squares
Tangy and sweet, these dessert squares are flavored with lemon and lime and dusted with powdered sugar.
Serves: 16Prep: 20 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup plus ⅔ cup Simple Truth Organic™ Granulated Sugar
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth Organic™ Powdered Sugar
- Cooking Spray
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixer, blend butter, ¼ cup sugar, lime zest, one-eighth teaspoon salt and lemon extract at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add 1 cup flour to the butter mixture, beating at low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently press two-thirds of the mixture into the bottom of an 8”x8” baking pan coated with cooking spray, set the remaining flour mixture aside. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until brown.
- Combine two-thirds cup of the sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, baking powder and the remaining one-eighth teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the lime juice and eggs, stirring until smooth. Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven (do not turn off the oven); sprinkle remaining flour mixture evenly over the egg mixture. Bake an additional 8 minutes or until set.
- Remove the pan from the oven; cool pan on a wire rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 16 squares.