Tart Apple Granita
There are many varieties of commercially grown apples, but stick with a very tart specimen for this recipe. Granny Smith apples work wonderfully.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large ripe tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Combine the apples, sugar, and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved and the apples are softened.
- Remove from heat, and combine with the remaining ingredients. Purée in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour into a covered container and place in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove from freezer, and stir the frozen crystals into the center of the container with a fork. Return the container to the freezer, and repeat the process every 30–45 minutes, stirring carefully each time, until you have a fully frozen container of crystallized granita.