Tart Crust for Savory Fillings
A delicious, flaky pastry that is well-suited to vegetable and herb fillings.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. very cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl. Quickly cut margarine and shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter or large fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons ice water over the surface. Stir the dough with a wooden spoon, adding ice water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed, to bring dough together.
- Shape dough into a ball and then wrap with plastic wrap. Using the palm of your hand, press dough into a disk shape inside the plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll chilled dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 inch. Fold dough in half or quarters, gently lift it up, and lay dough in a 9-inch tart pan. Unfold dough across the rest of the pan. Lift outer edges of dough with one hand while pressing dough down into the pan and into the fluted edges. Pinch off any excess dough. Save extra bits of dough for another use, if desired. Chill for 30 minutes. Dock with the tines of a fork.