This tender dough is perfect to form the crust for tarts. You can purchase almond meal in the bulk bins of some grocery stores, or you can make your own by finely chopping almonds in a food processor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp. almond meal
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 8 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Combine flour, sugar, almond meal, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and mix it into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or a knife and fork until it is in pea-sized lumps.
- Beat the egg and stir it into the flour/butter mixture with a wooden spoon to form the dough. Gather dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for 1 hour before you roll it out.