Tart Lemon Fried Pies
Use spring roll wrappers to make these crisp, lemony fried hand pies.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 4 round spring roll wrappers (8¼")
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and lemon juice.
- Pour through a strainer into a separate bowl and stir in the lemon zest. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the lemon filling and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Onto each 8" spring roll wrapper place about ⅓ cup of the chilled filling, slightly off center. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg and fold the dough over the filling. Pinch edges to seal. Place the pies on a baking sheet and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot to 375°F.
- Working in batches, fry the pies until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes for the first side and about 2 for the second side. Drain on a rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet.