Tarte aux Oignons (Onion Tart)
Save to My Recipes
You can either bake this onion tart with only onions, or add sliced bacon to it.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutes
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup crème fraîche or crema Mexicana
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. Espelette pepper (or paprika)
- ½ Tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set a rack in the middle. On a parchment sheet, roll dough into a 13" circle. Lay the parchment sheet and the dough on a baking pan. Fold the edges of the dough under to create a small crust. Then, with a fork, make small holes all over the dough. Cover and put in the refrigerator.
- Heat the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then cook the slices of onions in it. They should get translucent, but not brown. Add the flour, stir well, and cook slowly for 3 minutes. Take off of the heat and let them cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add the cream and whisk well. Slowly pour in the milk, again whisking firmly. Add the Espelette pepper, salt, and pepper, and stir well. Take the crust out of the refrigerator, and pour the onion mixture into it. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately.