Tasty Taco Soup
This wonderful soup can be made into a chili if you reduce the amount of broth. Garnish with sour cream or Greek yogurt and extra cilantro.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground paprika
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) green chili peppers, drained
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil and add the ground beef. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until completely browned and no longer pink. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pot over medium heat, heat the remaining oil, onion, and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the bell pepper, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, crushed red pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the kidney beans and chili peppers and mix again. Add the meat back to pot along with chicken broth, water, and lime juice. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Top each bowl with 2 tablespoons cheese before serving.