Tasty Tomato Sauce
Homemade tomato sauce doesn’t have to involve spending all day stirring a giant pot. Try this simple recipe, which uses fresh ingredients and savory spices, to create an amazing sauce that’s free of preservatives.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 can (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Sucanat
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions and green peppers in the olive oil until softened.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, combine the tomatoes (and their juice), sautéed onions and peppers, garlic, tomato paste, basil, and oregano. Stir the sauce and cover. Simmer the sauce for about an hour.
- Add the Sucanat, sea salt, and pepper to taste and stir.