Tasty Tomato Soup
This is the perfect side to a gluten-free grilled cheese sandwich, and also great to pack for a hot lunch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 10 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1¾ cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- Peel and chop the tomatoes, then place them in a large bowl and set them aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the tomatoes, cover the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes.
- Add the vegetable broth and tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, and then reduce it to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook for another 10–15 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender or food processor, 1 cup at a time. Do not overfill the blender. Blend the mixture until it is smooth.
- Pour blended soup into serving bowls to serve and sprinkle with basil and remaining olive oil.