Want to help your calamari stay tender? Soak them in milk overnight. This quick dish focuses on bright flavors. Serve as an appetizer or on top of arugula for a delicious salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. tequila
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice, divided
- ½ Tbsp. honey
- ½ Tbsp. grated lime zest
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tsp. finely diced jalapeño pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lb. calamari tubes, cut into 1" rings
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the tequila, 2 tablespoons lime juice, honey, lime zest, cumin powder, red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. Whisk in 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and then stir in the jalapeños and cilantro.
- Add the calamari to the marinade, stir to coat, and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Swirl the oil around the wok and add the calamari. Toss and stir-fry the calamari for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the calamari to a plate and drizzle with remaining lime juice, olive oil, and parsley. Season with remaining salt and serve immediately.