This recipe is fantastic for any type of meat that you enjoy with a rich teriyaki flavor. Depending on the cut, the shrinkage is minimal and the cost savings are significant.
Makes: 3½ poundsHands-on: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 3½ pounds
- 5 lbs. meat
- 2½ cups soy sauce
- 2½ cups teriyaki sauce
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. powdered ginger
- 1 bottle (5 oz.) Liquid Smoke
- ½ cup honey
- 5 tsp. curing salt
- Slice the meat as thinly as possible (a mandolin or meat slicer helps with this). About 3⁄16" is recommended. Mix all the remaining ingredients together and put into a baking dish with the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, stirring regularly. Drain meat completely.
- For a dehydrator, put an even number of slices on each layer, being careful not to let slices touch. Follow manufacturer’s recommended temperatures and times.
- For an oven, put the meat on a rack over a cookie tray and set your oven to 150ºF. Turn regularly over the next 6 hours.
- Cool and store in an airtight container or food-storage bag.