This is an excellent recipe for nights when you want a quick, easy, and satisfying meal. Add extra protein by sprinkling shredded cheese over the chili before serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup drained canned corn
- 2 cans (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned mild green chilies
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with the chili powder, ground cumin, and salt, using your fingers to mix in the seasonings.
- Place the butter and onion in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Microwave on high heat for 2 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- Add the ground beef. Cover the dish with microwave-safe wax paper. Microwave on high heat for 5 minutes, give the dish a quarter turn, and then microwave for 3 more minutes (the ground beef should be nearly cooked). Remove and drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Microwave for 7 minutes, stir, and microwave for 7 minutes more; then microwave for 1 or 2 minutes at a time until the other ingredients are heated and the beef is cooked through.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.