Tex-Mex Corn Muffins
These tender little muffins make a great quick breakfast on the run along with a juice box or two. You can omit the jalapeño and serrano and use Monterey jack cheese instead of pepper jack for a totally mild muffin.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine butter with sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, buttermilk, jalapeño, and serrano chili and beat until combined.
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix well. Add to butter mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in corn and pepper jack cheese.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 375°F for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately; serve warm.