Tex-Mex Fried Ice Cream
This is definitely a recipe to serve when you want to impress your guests! The deep-frying must be done at the very last minute; make sure the ice cream balls are frozen solid before frying. Have the topping ingredients ready and waiting for the ice cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 cups crushed nut and grain flake cereal
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup
- Using ice cream scoop, make 8 (1⁄2-cup) scoops of ice cream; freeze until solid.
- In shallow bowl, combine maple syrup, cinnamon, and corn syrup and mix well. Place crushed cereal on shallow plate. Dip ice cream balls into syrup mixture, then into cereal to coat well. Freeze again until solid. Repeat coating process; freeze for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, heat oil to 375°F. One at a time, fry the frozen ice cream balls for 10 to 15 seconds, just until coating is heated. Serve with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.