Save to My Recipes
These hoagie sandwiches are spicy and filling; just perfect to serve before a football game.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 8 hoagie buns, split
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen cooked mini meatballs
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce with garlic and peppers
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Scoop some of the bread from the bottoms and tops of buns; leave a 1" thick shell. Freeze excess bread for another use.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeños, and bell peppers; cook and stir for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in meatballs, tomato sauce, and salsa. Bring to a simmer; simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until meatballs are hot and sauce is blended.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spoon meatball mixture into bottoms of hoagie buns; top with cheeses and tops of buns. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until buns are toasted.