Tex-Mex Spoon Bread
Spoon bread is a softer version of corn bread, more like a soufflé. Cooking the cornmeal before baking the bread ensures a smoother texture in this easy side-dish recipe.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (16 oz.) creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup grated Colby cheese
- In heavy saucepan, combine creamed corn, milk, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted; cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir egg yolks into the cornmeal mixture. In medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Place egg whites on top of cornmeal mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Gently fold into cornmeal mixture just until blended. Pour into a greased 9-inch square pan and bake at 400°F for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Serve immediately.