Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large, squat bell peppers
- ½ cup converted (parboiled) long-grain rice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup cooked kidney beans
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup frozen, thawed corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 jar (16 oz.) chunky tomato sauce
- Remove the stems of the peppers and clean the seeds from the insides. Bring a large kettle of water to a boil and blanch the peppers about 5 minutes. Remove and invert to drain.
- In a small saucepan, bring the rice and ½ cup water to a boil; cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, mix the beans, onion, peas, corn, and rice. Stir in the tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Fill the peppers, mounding the filling on top if there is enough. Place upright in a deep-sided baking dish; peppers may be touching. Pour tomato sauce around the peppers.
- Cover and bake 1 hour; uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.