Tex-Mex Tortilla Soup
This delicious soup will warm you up on a cold day. It’s comforting and delicious, and it’s sure to be a hit!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 medium red tomatoes
- 1 cans (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas cut in strips
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Remove the skin from the chicken and shred, discarding the bones.
- Remove the skin from the onion and garlic. Chop the onion into ¼" pieces. Mince the garlic. Remove the stem and core from the red bell pepper and chop into ¼" pieces. Chop the tomatoes into 1" pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients except the lime juice, tortillas, and cilantro in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in the lime juice right before serving.
- Cut the stems from the cilantro. Stir the tortilla pieces and cilantro leaves into the soup before serving.