Somehow a bowl of chili will make one think of Texas and the Southwest, however a true Texas chili would not contain tomatoes or beans. This hearty chili made with tomatoes and kidney beans is not from the Lone Star State! Serve with jalapeño corn bread.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 large white onions
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups canned tomato sauce
- 4 cups canned kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Peel and mince the garlic. Peel the onions and cut into ¼" pieces.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the ground beef until it is browned. Drain off the grease.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and simmer on medium heat until heated through.