Thai Basil Fried Rice with Beef (Kao Pad Ka Prow)
Vegetables like green beans, mushrooms, and bell peppers can be added to this fried rice. Add the veggies with the rice to allow for enough cooking time.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 small Thai chilies
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 oz. ground sirloin
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onions
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups Thai holy basil or Thai sweet basil
- Make the paste using a mortar and pestle, a food processor, or mince all of the paste ingredients well and mix together.
- Heat a wok or deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil and fry the paste for 10 seconds until fragrant. Add beef and stir-fry about 1 minute. Take the beef out and set aside.
- Add yellow onions and sauté until translucent, about 30 seconds. Add rice and season with fish sauce, soy sauce, and palm sugar. Add cooked beef back to the pan and fold in. Add basil and stir for another 30 seconds, folding in the basil until wilted. Remove from heat and serve.