Thai Beef Salad
The steak and dressing may be prepared a day in advance.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 Tbsp. hot chili oil
- 4 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 lb. filet mignon (1 to 1 1⁄2 inches thick)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn lettuce leaves
- 1 cup coarsely torn mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup purple basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh hot chili peppers
- 3 tsp. fish sauce
- Combine hot chili oil, sesame oil, vinegar, and soy sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Cook the fillet mignon for about 10 minutes on each side for rare. Allow the beef to rest on a plate tented with foil for at least 5 minutes.
- While the beef is resting, combine the lettuce, mint, cilantro, basil, shallot, and chilies in a large bowl.
- Slice the beef into 1⁄8-inch-thick slices and toss them with the fish sauce. Add the beef to the bowl of lettuces, add the dressing, and toss. Serve on chilled plates.