Thai Beef Salad
The steak and dressing may be prepared a day in advance.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. hot chili oil
- 4 Tbsp. sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 fillet mignon (½ lb.), 1–1½ “ thick
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn lettuce leaves
- 1 cup coarsely torn mint leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- ½ cup purple basil leaves
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallot
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh hot chili peppers
- 3 tsp. fish sauce
- For the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Cook the fillet mignon for about 10 minutes on each side for rare. Allow the beef to rest on a plate tented with foil for at least 5 minutes.
- While the beef is resting, combine the lettuce, mint, cilantro, basil, onion, and chilies in a large bowl.
- Slice the beef into ⅛-inch-thick slices and toss them with the fish sauce. Add the beef to the bowl of lettuces, add the dressing, and toss. Serve on chilled plates and garnish with mint and cilantro leaves.