Replace regular chicken stock with this flavorful and complex broth for an exotic touch in your soups and other dishes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 42 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small Thai chilies, seeded
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1¼ inch piece of ginger
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 inch piece of lemongrass
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 scallion
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. tamarind paste in ½ cup hot water (or use the juice from 2 limes)
- ¼ cup Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- White pepper to taste
- Chop the chilies, garlic, shallots, and ginger. Thinly slice the lime leaves and the lemongrass. Place these ingredients in a soup pot with the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the scallion and the cilantro. Add them to the soup pot, along with all the remaining ingredients; simmer for 2 more minutes. Strain, discarding all solids.