Thai Coconut Chili Clams and Mussels
This flavorful Thai dish makes a beautiful presentation and a delicious meal especially when served with lime wedges and cilantro.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 2 red chilies, diced
- 3 lbs. clams, scrubbed and sorted
- 3 lbs. mussels, scrubbed and sorted
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat coconut oil. Add shallots, ginger, and garlic; sauté about 3 minutes, or until shallots are limp. Stir in coconut milk and chilies; bring to a boil.
- Add clams and cover, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add mussels and repeat process, cooking another 5 minutes, or until all shells have opened. Stir in lime juice, basil, and salt. Discard any unopened shellfish before serving.