Thai-Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
This classic winter soup is spiced up with red curry paste. Using coconut cream instead of regular cream makes this soup vegan.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. red curry paste
- 2 small shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 cans (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add oil, and then fry curry paste until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add shallots, carrots, and celery and sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 4–5 minutes. Add butternut squash and continue to stir to season the squash.
- Reserve ½ cup of the cream on top of coconut milk can for garnishing, and add the rest of coconut milk, water, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat until butternut squash is tender, about 20–30 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or let cool and then add to a blender. Add more salt if needed. To serve, garnish with ground white pepper and a scoop of coconut cream. Place cilantro leaves on top of the cream.