Thai-Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
This classic winter soup is spiced up with red curry paste. Using coconut cream instead of regular cream makes this soup vegan.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. red curry paste
- 2 small shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 cans (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add oil, and then fry curry paste until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add shallots, carrots, and celery and sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add butternut squash and continue to stir to season the squash.
- Reserve 1⁄2 cup of the cream on top of coconut milk can for garnishing, and add the rest of coconut milk, water, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat until butternut squash is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or let cool and then add to a blender. Add more salt if needed. To serve, garnish with ground white pepper and a scoop of coconut cream. Place cilantro leaves on top of the cream.