Thanksgiving Gravy Hack
Nobody has time to have a rough night with a roux. Sometimes you have the problem of not enough drippings on the bottom of the roasting pan when you roast the turkey. Here’s a quick and easy way to boost that convenient packet of instant gravy into a culinary masterpiece!
- 1 package Kroger® Brown Gravy Mix
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) P$$T…™ Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup Private Selection™ Applewood Smoked Bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chop and render the bacon in a deep skillet or saucepan. Cook until the bits of bacon are crisp and well done. This creates a “fond” on the bottom of the skillet. All the extra bits of cooked bacon and fat are left in the pan. Basically, all of the flavor and good stuff is in there.
- Remove a majority of the bacon pieces from the skillet. If you don’t mind the pieces in there, feel free to leave them. At this stage, if you want mushrooms in the gravy, sauté some sliced mushrooms into the bacon fat.
- Add the brown gravy mix to your fond and prepare it according to the directions on the packet. It calls for 1 cup of water, but if you like your gravy a bit thinner or thicker, adjust the water to your liking.
- Add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup to the gravy and cook while whisking for 3-5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. This is a professional chef’s trick for making yummy, rich and glossy gravy. This method is called beurre monté, meaning to mount or finish with butter.
- Serve and slather on your mashed potatoes, turkey and all the other fixin’s! Happy Thanksgiving!