Thick and Creamy Corn and Black Bean Casserole
This makes a satisfying meal that can be made vegetarian, or you could add some ham for extra flavor. Feel free to substitute half-and-half for the whipping cream to lighten it up.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 1⁄2 cup minced celeriac (celery root)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, roasted and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. corn flour, potato flour, or cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup rich chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen corn kernels
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 cup wheat-free bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a large ovenproof casserole. Add the onion, celery, celeriac, and red pepper and sauté over low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the corn flour or starch and stir, cooking gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, black beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the black beans are slightly softened, about 20 minutes. Take off the heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the eggs and cream. Blend the mixture quickly into the vegetables. Mix in the salt and spices.
- Place in a well-buttered casserole or keep in the same ovenproof pan that you’ve been using for cooking. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.