Thick-Cut Swiss Steak
Make sure to drizzle the sauce over the mashed potatoes!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 lbs. thick-cut top round steak
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- 4 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 2 cups cooked green beans
- Combine flour and seasonings in small bowl. Cut steak into 6 pieces. Dredge steaks in the flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat and add onion. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add floured steaks and cook on one side until golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn steaks over and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beef broth to skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for 1 hour until steak is tender.
- Serve steak and sauce with potatoes and green beans.