Thick Potato Chowder
If you have potatoes on hand, you have a meal! This thick chowder will feed a crowd and wonʼt cost you an arm and a leg.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup dried potato flakes
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Place in 4- or 5-quart slow cooker along with onions, stock, water, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash some of the potatoes directly in the slow cooker. Stir in evaporated milk, potato flakes, and cheese. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer until soup is thick and cheese has melted. Serve immediately.