Thick and Rich Cream of Broccoli Soup
This soup can be served in small cups as a first course, or in bowls as a hearty lunch or supper.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 lb. broccoli, coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and ⅓ cup cold water. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Add to pot with broth, wine, broccoli, nutmeg, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer the soup until the broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Purée soup in batches and return to pot. Stir in the cream. Simmer 3 minutes until hot. Serve immediately.