Thon Basquaise (Tuna Steaks with Tomatoes and Peppers)
Save to My Recipes
Tuna steaks prepared with tomatoes and green bell peppers is a traditional dish in the French Basque country, which is in the southwest of France.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutes
- 4 tuna steaks (1 lb. each), about 1¾" thick
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 red bell peppers, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- Season the tuna steaks with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Reserve.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper, stir well, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring again from time to time. Add the onion and garlic and cook again for 5 minutes, stirring very often. Add the tomatoes and their juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper; stir again, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat another skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the tuna steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Top tuna with the tomato and pepper mixture and simmer for 10 minutes.