Three-Cheese Brat Mac and Cheese
This hearty macaroni and cheese casserole is sure to satisfy even the hungriest guest! If you want, you can substitute hot dogs, Polish sausage, or even meatballs for the bratwursts.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cooked bratwursts, cut into 1⁄4-inch slices
- 1 lb. rotini or penne pasta, cooked according to the package directions and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and stir until the flour has absorbed the butter and is lightly golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn heat down to medium-low, then slowly whisk in milk. Turn the heat up to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes just to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add cream cheese and cream and whisk until smooth, then add 2 cups Cheddar and the pepper jack cheese in four additions, making sure the first has melted before adding the next. Add salt and pepper, then fold in the bratwurst and pasta.
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish and top with remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 more minutes until casserole is bubbling and the cheese is browned. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.