Three-Grain Sourdough Bread
The sour cream, orange juice, and vinegar add a sour flavor to this hearty bread. Be sure to use bread flour for best results.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (0.25 oz.) dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple-cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- In large bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes. Add salt, sour cream, orange juice, vinegar, oat bran, wheat flour, and rye flour and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to make a firm dough.
- On floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top of the dough. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled.
- Grease 2 loaf pans (9 by 5 inches) with melted butter .
- Punch down dough and divide into two pieces; let stand for 10 minutes. Roll or pat dough to 7-by-12-inch rectangles and roll up tightly, starting with 7-inch side. Pinch edges to seal; place in prepared pans. Use a sharp knife to score diagonal lines on the top of the dough. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake bread for 30 to 40 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped with fingers. Turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.