Three-Grain Sourdough Bread with Sunflower Seeds
The sour cream, orange juice, and vinegar add a sour flavor to this hearty bread.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (2 1⁄4 tsp.) dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple-cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, divided
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes. Add salt, sour cream, orange juice, vinegar, oat bran, wheat flour, and rye flour and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to make a firm dough.
- On floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover dough and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled.
- Grease two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with unsalted butter and set aside.
- Punch down dough and divide into two pieces; let stand for 10 minutes. Roll or pat dough to 7-by-12-inch rectangles and roll up tightly, starting with 7-inch side. Pinch edges to seal; place in prepared pans. Cover and let rise for 35 minutes, until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle tops of loaves with sunflower seeds and bake for 35 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped with fingers.
- Turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.