Three Kings Day Bread
Celebrate the three wise men with this traditional recipe for Three Kings Day Bread (Rosca de Reyes), made into the shape of a crown and decorated with dried fruit “jewels.”
Serves: 10Prep: 3 hours 30 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (.75 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. whole milk, lukewarm (105°F)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks, divided
- 1 stick plus 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 1/3 cups plus ¼ cup Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup dried fruit
- Vegetable oil
- In a cup, add warm milk, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar; stir to dissolve. Cover with plastic and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, mix yeast with eggs, 4 egg yolks, ½ cup sugar, 1 stick butter and orange extract. Swap out mixer paddle with dough hook. Add salt and 3⅓ cup flour mix. Knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Grease hands with vegetable oil, then shape dough into a ball and place in greased glass bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 2 hours (in a warm place) or until ball doubles in size.
- In a bowl, mix ¼ cup remaining all-purpose flour, powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons butter until a soft streusel forms.
- On a slightly floured surface, with greased hands, shape dough into a 20” roll, then close both ends to form a circle. Transfer to lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Grease the rim/outside of a 6 oz. glass custard cup and place it upside down inside the circle (so dough will keep its shape while baking).
- Combine remaining egg yolk with 1 tablespoon milk to make egg wash; brush on dough circle. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Place assorted dried fruit and pieces of streusel on dough circle, alternating between the two. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake bread 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350°F and continue baking 15 more minutes until golden brown. Once cool, remove custard cup and transfer bread onto serving platter.