You can form your meatballs into any shape and size you like. However, if you make large meatballs, allow for more cooking time.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 5 thick slices day-old or toasted Italian bread
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 lb. ground veal
- 3⁄4 lb. lean ground pork
- 3⁄4 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Soak the bread in water for 1 minute. Thoroughly squeeze out all liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soaked bread, oregano, parsley, shallots, garlic, veal, pork, beef, egg, cheese, and pepper. Form into balls about 2 to 3 inches in size.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry meatballs for 30 minutes, uncovered, turning occasionally until cooked through.
- Transfer the meatballs to paper towels to drain.