Three-Onion Potato Kugel
Sautéing the onions and squeezing the liquid from the potatoes creates a crispy crust that makes this kugel stand out.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 7 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large shallots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix eggs, salt, pepper, potato starch, and 4 tablespoons oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and shallots. Sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add scallions and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes. Add onion mixture to the egg mixture. Wipe the pan clean and place in the oven to preheat.
- Shred potatoes with a box grater or food processor. Working in batches, place a large handful of potato in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of them. Add them to the egg and onions and repeat with the remaining potatoes. Mix well.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Swirl to coat the pan, then add the potato mixture to the pan and immediately return to the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour until the top is dark brown and crunchy. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.