A great vegetable dish straight from the south of France. You’re supposed to make it with all the vegetables you can find at the farmers’ market in summer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium onions, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place onions in a large baking dish. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and stir the onion, spreading them all over the bottom of the dish so that they cover it completely. Put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven (don’t turn off the oven, though). Let the dish cool a little, then start layering the slices of vegetables on the onions: one slice tomato, one slice zucchini, one slice eggplant, then another slice of tomato, etc. Once the vegetables cover the whole dish, sprinkle on the thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and add the garlic cloves in different places around the dish. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the vegetables and put in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Serve immediately.