Toasted Cheese Sandwich
This comforting snack makes an excellent accompaniment to a hot bowl of tomato soup. Cheddar, American, and Swiss cheese slices all work well in this recipe.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2½ Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 2 slices cheese
- Spread about 2 teaspoons butter over one side of a slice of bread. Spread the mustard over one side of the other slice. Place the cheese slices in the middle and close the sandwich, dry sides out.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat for about 1 minute. When the frying pan is hot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the frying pan (it should be sizzling).
- Add the sandwich to the frying pan. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Press down gently on the sandwich with a spatula while it is cooking.
- Push the sandwich to the side and add about 1 teaspoon butter to the pan. Turn the sandwich over and cook on the other side until browned and the cheese is nearly melted, about 3 minutes. Remove the sandwich from the pan and cut in half.