Toasted Coconut Gelato (Gelato di noce di cocco tostata)
Coconuts have more than 100 uses. That’s amazing stuff for one simple fruit! The coconut tree has so many uses it is commonly called “the tree of life.”
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 cups toasted coconut
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, vanilla bean, toasted and desiccated coconut, sugar, and salt. Stir over medium heat. Bring just to a boil; remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1–2 hours.
- After steeping, strain the milk mixture. Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to the saucepan, and heat until thickened. Pour coconut milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.