Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Warm and rich, toasted coconut ice cream makes a beautiful base for so many desserts and is equally amazing on its own.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 10 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. coconut-flavored rum
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Bring coconut and heavy cream to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 2 hours. Process cream mixture in a blender until smooth. Return cream mixture to the pan.
- Add half and half and sugar to the pan, and bring to a steaming simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Slowly stream hot cream mixture into eggs until fully incorporated. Return mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat until thick, being careful not to boil it. Strain into a clean bowl. Add rum and vanilla; stir until smooth. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.