Toasted Walnut Hasselback Butternut Squash
A little sweet and a little savory, this Hasselback squash makes a delicious side dish or an impressive vegetarian centerpiece.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut in half lengthwise, with seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Kroger Brand Salted Butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts pieces, toasted
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Rub squash halves with oil, salt and pepper. Place cut side down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes or until just slightly softened. Remove from oven and allow to cool until comfortable to touch.
- Carefully move squash to a cutting board. Score squash in ⅛”-¼” slices, leaving the squash intact along the bottom. Try placing a wooden spoon on each side of the squash to avoid cutting all the way through.
- Return squash halves to the pan and roast an additional 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together butter, maple syrup and sage. Set aside.
- Remove squash and brush with maple mixture. Return to the oven and bake an additional 20-22 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.