Tod Man Pla (Thai Fish Cakes)
It is possible to blend the mixture in a food processor and pulse it until it slightly thickens instead of slapping it to the side of a bowl. Be careful not to over-mix because the cakes will be very chewy.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 ounces ground fish like cod or snapper
- 4 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1½ Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped green onions
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup pickled cucumbers
- Combine fish, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, and egg in a stainless steel or sturdy mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Gather the mixture into a ball and throw it back to the side of the bowl. Continue slapping the mixture to the side of the bowl until the mixture is thick and sticky.
- Mix in lime leaves and green onion.
- Heat oil in a medium fry pan over medium heat to reach 350°F. Roll fish mixture into small discs and deep-fry. Drain on paper towels. Serve with pickled cucumbers.