Tod Man Pla (Thai Fish Cakes)
It is possible to blend the mixture in a food processor and pulse it until it slightly thickens instead of slapping it to the side of a bowl. For a fresh side, serve with a cucumber salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar, divided
- 3 small pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, divided
- 8 ounces ground cod
- 4 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. grated lime zest
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar, 1⁄3 cup sugar, water, and salt to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer the cooled mixture to a medium bowl and add cucumbers, garlic, and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Toss to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Combine fish, curry paste, fish sauce, remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, and egg in a stainless steel or sturdy mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Gather the mixture into a ball and throw it back to the side of the bowl. Continue slapping the mixture to the side of the bowl until the mixture is thick and sticky.
- Mix in lime zest, scallions, and remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- Heat oil in a medium fry pan over medium heat to reach 350°F. Roll fish mixture into small discs and deep-fry. Drain on paper towels. Serve fish cakes with cucumber salad.