Tofu “Cream” of Broccoli Soup
Silken tofu makes an excellent substitute for dairy cream or milk in this simple, tasty soup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 heads of broccoli
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup minced parsley
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp. miso
- 1 package (12 oz.) silken tofu
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- Cut the florets off the broccoli stems; peel and chop.
- In a large heavy saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until just tender; add half the parsley, setting the rest aside to use as garnish. Add the stock and broccoli; bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove a small amount of broth to a bowl; dissolve the miso. Return to the soup pot; remove pot from heat. Crumble silken tofu into broth; use a hand wand mixer to purée until smooth. An alternative is to ladle the soup into a blender in batches and purée until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper; serve either warm or chilled, topped with minced parsley.