Tofu and Eggplant Stir-Fry
Can’t find Thai basil? Substitute with sweet basil and a few pinches of coriander powder. This dish pairs well with jasmine rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 block (12⅓ oz.) firm tofu, cut into 1" rectangles
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red chilies, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- Dry tofu with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok over medium heat. Add tofu and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok and swirl it around the pan. Stir-fry eggplant, bell pepper, and mushrooms for 2 minutes, tossing around in the wok every so often. Remove from wok and add to tofu.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add chilies, garlic, and shallots. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Return tofu, eggplant, and bell peppers to the wok and add fish sauce, stir to coat. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Serve hot, garnishing with fresh cilantro leaves.