Perfect as a vegetarian entrée, these meatless burgers bring great nutrition and fabulous flavors to your table.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger® Traditional Bread Crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Kroger® Yellow Mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, cover red onion with boiling water; let stand 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine vinegar, salt, sugar and half of garlic; whisk to combine. Drain onion; transfer to a bowl with vinegar mixture. Press onion rings down to submerge. Let stand at least 30 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, coat grill grate with cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Wrap tofu in paper towels; place baking sheet weighted with several cans on top of tofu. Let stand to press out water.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, spinach, bread crumbs, green onions, mustard, tahini, lime juice, pepper and remaining garlic. Crumble tofu into spinach mixture; stir to mix thoroughly. Form into 8 patties.
- Coat both sides of each patty with cooking spray. Place on grill grate; cover grill. Grill 6 minutes; gently turn over to cook other side. Grill 4-5 minutes longer until heated through. Gently transfer to serving platter. Serve alongside pickled onions on a bed of cooked quinoa or wrapped in lettuce leaves.
- Refrigerate leftovers.