Tofu Spring Rolls
The filling in these spring rolls would also be a delicious vegetarian option in egg rolls if you substitute light soy sauce for the oyster sauce. Serve them with either a soy or peanut dipping sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3 cups sliced fried tofu
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 rice paper spring roll wrappers
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- Heat a wok with the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and scallions, and cook until the spinach has wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Toss in the tofu and stir in the oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Take 1 piece of rice paper and dip into a shallow dish of water to soften. Lay the softened rice paper on a plate. Place a few spoonfuls of the mixture in a line toward the middle of the rice paper, and top with carrots and basil leaves. Fold in the sides and tightly roll up until it is closed. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.