Tomatillos are a close cousin to the gooseberry. They are wrapped in a thin husk, which must be removed before eating.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. fresh tomatillos, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small serrano chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (4 oz.) roasted green chilies, chopped
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ Tbsp. lime juice
- ⅛ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place the tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeño, serrano, green chilies, onion, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan and add the lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 8–10 minutes and then remove from heat. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Salsa can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.