Tomatillo Salsa Chilaquiles
Chilaquiles are fried corn tortilla pieces cooked in salsa and sprinkled with cheese. This authentic and saucy version features homemade tomatillo salsa, shredded chicken and sour cream for the ultimate party comfort food.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, washed and halved
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and stemmed
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 14 Kroger® White Corn Tortillas, cut into triangles
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2/3 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a blender, blend tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic cloves, cilantro, chicken bouillon granules, salt and sugar until smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat oil. Add tomatillo mixture; cook 5-7 minutes, until salsa changes to deeper green color. In a bowl, mix sour cream and milk until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat canola oil and add tortilla triangles carefully, about 8 pieces at a time. Fry 5 minutes, turning once, until crispy. Place tortilla triangles on paper towels.
- On a platter, place a layer of tortilla triangles and top with shredded chicken, tomatillo salsa, cheese and sour cream mix. Repeat with a second layer. Serve immediately.