Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
Bruschetta is a classic light Italian appetizer made with slices of toasted bread topped with olive oil, tomatoes, and fresh basil.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 slices French bread
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced yellow pepper
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Toast the bread on both sides. Rub one side of each piece of toast with the cut side of the garlic. Keep bread warm by placing it on a baking sheet in an oven set to warm.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and yellow pepper and cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomato, basil, and pepper.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over garlic-rubbed side of the toast, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve immediately.