For a richer coulis, stir 1–2 tablespoons of cream into the purée.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use vine-ripened tomatoes or the ripest plum tomatoes available. Place tomatoes in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- With potato masher, break up the tomato pieces. Cook another 3–4 minutes, or until excess liquid has evaporated.
- For a smooth purée, pulse briefly in a food processor. Stir in chopped basil and season with salt and pepper. Makes ¾–1 cup coulis.